Witter Field Renovation
Piedmont is proud of its long athletic tradition. Athletics are at the center of student life in Piedmont, and the renewal of the Athletics Complex has long been considered necessary, yet cost prohibitive. Seventy percent of our high school students participate in athletics, but are faced with antiquated and often unusable facilities and equipment.
This summer, PUSD will begin the much needed construction to replace the foundation, drainage system, turf and track. The cost of this project is approximately $4.9 million and is being funded by a state facilities grant.
The restoration and protection of Witter Field is critical. The District last replaced the synthetic turf and track at Witter Field in 2007 and these materials are now at the end of their useful life. The underground drainage system has deteriorated, and even moderate rain can lead to flooding and field closures.
But there are related facilities that are also in need of repair. Student athletes would benefit from improvements to the weight room, training center, locker and team rooms, and bathrooms. Families and spectators would appreciate updated scoreboards on the turf field, softball and hardball fields, not to mention much needed upgrades for the softball field, snack bar facilities, sound systems, and roofing.
Witter Field is in dire need of repair. We are reaching out to our community to help fund the “critical extras” that will not be covered in the district project.
If we raise $750,000 – $1,000,000, we could fund the following additional projects:
- State-of-the-art multi-sport scoreboards for the turf field, softball and hardball fields.
- Updated A/V systems to support our games and events.
- Conversion of outfield storage (located on the west side of the track) to a training facility.
- Updated Weight Room with improved ventilation, equipment and trainer’s office.
- Updated Snack Shack with working appliances, improved ventilation and work space.
- Renovated Women’s and Men’s Locker Rooms with improved amenities (HVAC improvements, hot water, self-filling water stations, etc.)
- Improvements at the Softball Field, including updated batting cage, new padding for backstops, outfield and bullpen
- Additional right field netting for the baseball field to stop fly balls
If we raise between $1,000,000 to $1,500,000, we can make improvements at Binks Gym (scheduled for 2024) that could include:
- Renovated locker rooms
- New Roof (approximately $345,000)
- New HVAC
- Improved sound system
- Bleachers repair
- Refinished floor
If we raise more than $1,500,000, it might be possible to look at “wish list” items like refinishing the bleachers at Witter and renovating the Quad at Piedmont High School.
Thank you for supporting the renovation of Witter Field. Together, we can create a sports facility for the next generation of Piedmont athletes.
If you would like to donate by transferring stock or donating via a Donor Advised Fund, please call the PEF Office at 510-653-1816 or email us at Info@PiedmontEdFoundation.org.
Checks can be made out to Piedmont Education Foundation and dropped off at the PEF Office in Veterans’ Hall or mailed to PEF, 401 Highland Avenue, Piedmont, CA 94611.